What is acupuncture?
If you are struggling with muscles, bones, or joints, pain following a car accident, or any other injury, acupuncture treatment can be a great way to relieve your pain and discomfort without resorting to addictive medications or surgery.
Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese practice where very thin needles are inserted through the skin at strategic points in the body to release stagnant energy and relieve the area from pain and discomfort.
According to traditional Chinese medicine, acupuncture is a technique that balances the flow of energy through your body, allowing the body to release natural chemicals to fight any illness.
How does it work?
Acupuncture treatments can reduce inflammation, increase blood circulation and reduce pain in auto accident injuries like muscle spasms, whiplash, neck, back, and shoulder pain. It can also effectively reduce stress, anxiety, and headaches while improving overall mind-body wellness in an auto injury accident survivor.
Specifically, it can help:
- Stimulate nerves, muscles, and connective tissue
- Improve blood flow
- Reduce inflammation
- Accelerate soft tissue healing
- Boost your body’s natural pain response
- Improves mobility in the neck and shoulders
- Limits the use of painkillers or other addictive medications
- Rebalance the body’s energy, improving the quality of life
- Improves functions of the organs
- Reduce external and internal scarring
- Assists the body in creating new tissues
The first treatment can last up to 60 minutes, followed by shorter sessions of 30 mins each, based on the severity of the pain and the condition being treated. You can expect to receive six to eight acupuncture treatments to resolve your pain issues.
Benefits of Acupuncture
The benefits of acupuncture, although sometimes difficult to measure, are found to be satisfying by many people as a means to control their painful conditions.
The needles used in acupuncture treatment are extremely thin and do not cause much discomfort when inserted into the skin. Most patients do not feel the needles when inserted, while a few might experience a dull ache afterward.
Based on the area of the body, your chiropractic acupuncturist might insert five to twenty needles during the procedure and keep them in place for 10 to 20 mins, after which they are removed.
The needles do not cause any pain or discomfort when taken out, and the patients claim the entire experience to be quite relaxing.
The entire procedure of acupuncture treatment involves the following:
- Needle insertion: The acupuncture needles are inserted at various depths ranging from a fraction of an inch to a couple of inches at strategic points in the body. This is done to release stagnant energy, relieving the pain symptoms in the affected area and helping to heal the injuries. The needles, being very thin, cause little discomfort during insertion and can cause a mild aching sensation when they reach the desired depth.
- Needle manipulation: After insertion of the needles, your acupuncture practitioner can gently move or twirl the needles to apply heat or mild electric pulses that release the blocked energy in the affected area.
- Needle removal: In most cases, the acupuncturist will keep the needle in place for 10 to 15 minutes while you stay still and relax. Removing the needle does not cause any discomfort, and the patients claim to feel more relaxed after the treatment.